Bacon-Wrapped Scallops. Need I say more?

Mmmm....bacon. Mmmm....scallops.







During our trip to Boston, one of our favorite meals* was at a little place up in Cape Ann called Cape Ann Brewing Company with our friends Adam and Sara.

Great Beer!

All Mine!

Cape Ann Brewing!

A wonderful visit. Some amazing beer and some amazing food! I had the fried scallops and Chris had a special that I wish I got! Bacon-wrapped scallops with an asian dipping sauce.

Once we got back I wrote to the brewery inquiring about the dipping sauce recipe. They shared their secret and I embarked on recreating the meal!

First I bought some very large scallops at Whole Foods. I opted for the already wrapped-in-bacon-variety since A. they were what you would consider "dry" (not stored in a gooey mixture of who know's what) and B. only a dollar more per pound. I purchased 4.

Once I set to make this both Chris and I agreed the scallops were HUGE. So I cut each in half and adjusted the bacon accordingly (result: 8 scallops!) Next attempt: we will quarter them.

These are really very simple to make. Once the scallops are trimmed and wrapped (jam a toothpick through to hold the bacon on!) Bake in a 450 degree oven in the top third rack (before you prep the scallops, pre heat the oven with a baking sheet covered in foil with a rack over the foil).

Salt and pepper the scallops. I drizzled my asian marinade over them:
Brown Sugar Soy Marinade
1 Cup Brown Sugar
6 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
¼ cup soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar

Mix it all together (I use a whisk) and use as you see fit.

Bake for about 10 minutes then flip. Another 5-10 but keep an eye on it! They're done with the bacon looks cooked.

Serve with a side (in this case I made a quinoa/rice pilaf-y type thing with roasted red pepper and basil - I admit it was from a mix!) or a salad (something light with a lot of acid - to cut through the bacon and scallops) and that asian dipping sauce! The secret? It's a Thai Sweet Chile Sauce that you can purchase at any grocery store. :)




If you live in Boston: go get this dish at Cape Ann Brewery! (And have their IPA - delicious!)

*The most anticipated meal was Anna's Taqueria. If you ever visit Boston it's a MUST.

Comments

Popular Posts