A Bevvy of Books!

Do you like cookbooks like I do? 
Here's a quiz to find out:

Do you:
  • Have a few cookbooks sitting near your "tv" chair so that you can flip through them while watching TV?
  • Find yourself looking through cookbooks while making your grocery list?
  • Read them like novels?
  • Have a bookcase in or near your kitchen dedicated solely to cookbooks with overflow in another bookcase in a different room?
If you answered "yes" to any of the above questions I think you and I would get along really well!

During a recent road trip from Atlanta to Boston and back I hit a little jackpot of cookbooks from my sweet mother-in-law who had saved a pile of books for quite some time.

Time Life Books might seem cheesy to some of you but their cookbooks are bar none. Especially "The Good Cook" series which a lot of chefs collect. Well-tested recipes with fabulous, if not dated, photography and diagrams/charts showing techniques that simply need an illustration. This book series tackles various ingredients or menu items "Sauces," for example, and "Poultry," "Eggs," and "Salads." I have most of them thanks to the fact that when I got into them they were selling in used book stores for roughly $5 a piece and my mom and sister decided Christmas was a good enough excuse to visit their local used bookstores.

Yay! Books!
My mother-in-law has had a bunch of the Time Life "Foods of the World" cookbooks and when we visited them presented me with a box loaded up with these gems!

They were promptly placed in the rental and made the long (LONG) trip back to Atlanta with us.

It's like Christmas! I have yet to crack a book open but we did empty the box, look at them all and put them back in. I plan to start on this box this weekend - it's the perfect "tucked away for a rainy day" box of goodies for me!

A note on cookbooks in general: cookbooks and recipes should inspire and help you create or adjust to your own tastes. It's ok to follow the recipes but don't be afraid to switch up flavors or ingredients as long as it doesn't change the properties of the recipe significantly.

Coming soon: my top 10 favorite cookbooks

Comments

Popular Posts