Organic Caesar with Roast Chicken and Mashed Turnips (with cream and crispy shallots)


Organic Romaine = Delicious!

Sometimes the simplest meals are the most "gourmet." I am a HUGE fan of comfort food and I love taking it to the next level. In this case, we took a roast chicken that my talented husband made (talk about delicious!) And I was inspired, once again, by the Families First Farm vegetables. First up: Caesar Salad. No explanation necessary (though I do prefer Brianna's salad dressing if I can't make my own). There is no way to emphasize how much better fresh, organic produce tastes. 

Mashed Turnips with Cream and Crispy Shallots
I had never maid turnips before. So I used a recipe that our Master Organic Farmer provided. It was a simple, classic, French approach. Basically boil them up like you're making mashed potatoes. Strain and mash or puree (in this case I mashed). Cook up some shallots in butter until nice and golden brown then set aside on paper towel to crisp up (seriously can't go wrong with shallots). In same skillet, combine about a cup of heavy cream with a tablespoon butter and heat it up to a simmer. Add the pureed or mashed turnips back in and season with about an 8th of a teaspoon of nutmeg (side note: don't buy powdered nutmeg. Buy a bottle of the whole nuts...or is it megs? Anyway - it's worth it.) And salt and pepper. Keep seasoning and tasting.  Serve with crispy shallots on top. Seriously tasty! They tasted somewhere between a mashed potatoe and mashed cauliflower...that's the best way I can describe it. With this dish....I could live without mashed potatoes. No joke.

About 10 minutes later this was an empty plate!

Comments

Popular Posts