The Families First Farm Presents: Fresh Organic Produce!

I know. I know. Bad, bad blogger! I'm back...and I'm determined to continue even if it ends up spotty! Sorry!

Tonight's dinner was a fabulous example of how "simple" and "fresh" can make the ultimate meal.

Families First Farm!
Start with the newest exciting venture at Families First (the wonderful place where I am honored to work): Families First Farm. A local Georgia organic farmer, John Davis, has transformed the front yard of one of our Permanency Cooperatives (what we call our group homes for youth in foster care) into a certified organic garden. You have no idea how exciting this is for me!!

The idea is that it will show our youth in the homes a picture of sustainability and healthy eating. Additionally, the produce will be sold in farmers markets throughout Atlanta. Ultimately we'd love to see local restaurants touting that they are serving produce grown at Families First Farms. Someday....

So today, our very own Farmer John set up a table of produce in our break room and I went shopping!

What did we have for dinner you ask?? 

Ribeye: A delicious rib eye steak pan seared and finished in the oven (mine was very rare and Chris' was rare). A good ribeye steak is the way to my heart! True story.

Salad: Not just any salad! I bought a small head of Boston Bibb lettuce. So this was fresh grown organic salad. The greens tasted better than any Boston Bibb I have purchased at the grocery store. It had a nice fresh, clean flavor with a peppery finish.  (I went for bleu cheese dressing while Chris opted for Tuscan Italian. Add craisins and goat cheese and voila!)

Beets: Wait whaaat?? Yes. Beets. Once again: fresh from the garden. Ok I know....I grew up HATING beets "They taste like DIRT!" It didn't help that my mom bought what all moms bought in the 70s: canned beets. But I started to like them when I worked in the restaurant - and got over the intimidation of working with fresh beets as well. I boiled these beets until *just* fork tender (like you would cook potatoes). Removed them from the water and peeled them while running under cold water (or you could be patient and actually let them cool). Quartered them. And tossed them in a mixture of equal parts balsamic vinegar and whole grain mustard. Delicious! And HEALTHY!

Boiling the beets...they will stain anything they come in contact with so don't wear white! (Pot was not stained.)


Here is the meal...served it with a glass of Cab...I am in my happy place!

By the way - I also bought turnips....stay tuned for the recipe!

Comments

Popular Posts