Houston! Oh Houston....we have a problem.

So I decided to do a recipe from the great Babbo. That's right. Mario Batali.

I failed.

My veal scallopine looked more like a dark stewed meat. It tasted all right...but not what it should be. Definitely a redo.

Here's where I think I went wrong.

1. I never tenderized (pounded!) the veal
2. I used red wine rather than marsala (this is an acceptable substitute but definitely changes things)
3. I overcooked the veal...hmph!
4. The wine reduction reduced a hair too much. It wasn't like eating a salt lick but it wasn't the best....

That said, the recipe called for oyster mushrooms, which I had never cooked with before. Delicious!

This is a re-do. But suffice it to say the lesson is: even Mario Batali recipes should be cooked with closer attention to what the ingredients are doing/how they are reacting rather than cooking "to the letter" of the recipe.

This is a great reminder, too, that mistakes in the kitchen will happen. It's guaranteed. Just be sure to learn from them.

Comments

Popular Posts