It Smells Like Beef and Cheese (Steaks)!




I'm not from Philly but I  know a good cheesesteak...and most restaurants don't make them well. My husband and I miss the New England sandwich chain, D'Angelo's, where we used to get delicious cheese steak subs. Nothing special or fancy. Just good meat, fried on a flat top with cheese folded in (and sautéed onions if you're me) on a soft but crusty roll. Add some Cool Ranch Doritos and we've hit a home run!

In my research I've used a variety of meats. Sliced roast beef (that's a roast beef melt), SteakUms (my childhood memories betrayed me - these are greasy and so gross) and those packages of thinly sliced beef in the deli section. 

It wasn't until I reviewed the Cook's Illustrated recipe that I found the exact right meat: skirt steak. Jackpot!

Borrowing heavily from the Cook's Illustrated recipe, here is  my take on it.

Ingredients (makes two Cheese Steak Subs)

1 lb Skirt Steak
2 Hoagie Rolls (I've landed on some soft-but-crusty rolls 
1/4 tsp salt
A pinch of pepper
About 1/4 cup grated or shredded parmesan
6 or so sliced of white American cheese (Boars Head works well here)

1. Put skirt steak in the freezer about 30 to 40 minutes before slicing. When ready - cut into about 2 inch sections and thinly slice each piece against the grain. Your fingers are going to get cold! Might need to take a break here and there to warm them back up. Section some piles out and go at each with your knife - chopping the slices up. 

2. Slice a small onion thinly and heat about 2 TBS olive oil and a teaspoon of butter in a 10 inch stainless sauté pan over medium heat. Place onions in pan and season with salt. Let slowly sauté.

3. Heat some olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Slice the rolls and place them, cut side down, in the oiled pan (rub them around a little). Let them heat up until golden brown and toasted. Remove from the pan and set aside.

4. Add a little more oil and turn up to high. Fry the meat, stirring occasionally, until browned. Pour into a colander to drain the meat and dry the skillet with paper towel.

Keep an eye on the onions. Turn to low to keep warm without burning...

5. Turn the heat down to medium and place dry pan on burner. Put meat back in pan and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Stir until the seasoning is mixed in. Sprinkle with the parm and place 4 or 5 slices of cheese on the meat and fold in until the cheese is melted and coats each piece of meat.

6. Divide meat onto the two buns, place an extra slice on top for those who want extra cheese and slice. Either place the onions on top or mix into the meat. My husband isn't a fan of onions so I fix his sub first and then mix the onions in with the remaining meat for mine. 

The result is a tender steak, coated in cheese, and wrapped in toasty but soft bread. Oh. So. Good.

We recommend you enjoy with chips or Cool Ranch Doritos!
I smell beef and cheese!


Comments

Popular Posts