Chicken Soup for the Soul: Asian Chicken Noodle Soup


I lived in Brookline, MA, in the late nineties. I was in a beautiful 3-bedroom brownstone right by Coolidge Corner, had three amazing roommates and I could walk to anything I needed. There was an abundance of amazing restaurants representing just about any cuisine you could want: Shawarma King II had the best falafel, The Lucky Wok = perfect crab rangoon; Fugakyu made a spicy tuna roll
I smell chicken.
that I was convinced had crack in it. Zaftig offered uh-mazing deli fare. And Anna's Taqueria. Oh Anna's how I miss thee!

Any time I got a cold I would drag myself to a little Vietnamese restaurant a few miles away in Brighton called "Pho Pasteur" and buy chicken noodle soup. Quick stop at CVS for pink grapefruit juice, cold meds and maybe a magazine or two and I knew I was on my way back to health.
Simmering goodness.

The soup was unlike any I had ever had. I grew up on Campbell's at home and the occasional delicious "Jewish Penicillin" at one of my best friend's homes (made by her Bubbe, of course!) But Pho Pasteur included ingredients like ginger and cilantro and jalapeno. And they sold it in separate containers: "assembly" was required. Noodles and shoots/greens/cilantro/chicken etc. in one container. Broth in another. Holy moly - the best. (Sadly, I think the restaurant no longer exists.)

But then I moved. To the south. And I've been on a hunt for a good Asian Chicken Noodle Soup recipe. I wish I could take credit with creating this recipe, or fine tuning it, but I have to say: I needed to change nothing*. This recipe is EASY and tasty and nearly as good as Pho. Sigh.....


Also - it only took about 30 minutes.

Recipes are not copyrighted but out of respect for the creator: Here is the link to the original blog/recipe: http://www.eatliverun.com/asian-chicken-noodle-soup/


Quick ingredient list:
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks (keep them smallish - remember this will be in your soup and you don't want to require a knife and fork for consumption!)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (or put through a garlic press - I used three cloves.)
  • 1 TBS minced fresh ginger (this is key to the recipe and flavor.)
  • 1 TBS sesame oil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Splash of white wine (1/4 cup) 
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2 baby bok choy, chopped
  • 5 oz chinese noodles (about half a package)
  • Sriracha sauce for serving (optional - but believe me when I say you won't regret it!)
  • Cilantro, fresh chopped for serving (optional) Cilantro, you may know, is one of those herbs that people either love or hate. The haters will say it tastes like soap. I see the soap connection but LOVE it.
  • Chicken and bok choy
    have been added!
  • Salt/pepper to taste
Be sure to have all of your ingredients chopped and ready to go before you start.

Directions:
  1. Heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy-bottomed stock pot. 
  2. Add the minced garlic and ginger and briefly saute for about 30 seconds. (And enjoy the aroma!) Do not walk away - the garlic can turn from sauteed to burnt in no time!
  3. Add the chicken and bok choy, sprinkle with salt, and saute for another three minutes or so until chicken has turned white but not completely cooked all the way through.
  4. Add the splash of white wine and stir a little more to deglaze any cooked bits.
  5. Add the chicken broth, jalapeno and green onions to the pot and bring to a simmer. 
  6. Cook for 15 minutes until chicken is done.
  7. Meanwhile, cook the noodles in boiling salted water, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
  8. Add the rice vinegar and soy sauce to the broth and stir. 
  9. Now is the time to season. Taste the broth, does it need salt? Pepper? Add and taste again until you like it.
  10. Add the noodles to the pot and serve with chopped cilantro and Sriracha sauce on the side.
Finished product with cilantro and Sriracha!
 
*Ok I changed two teeny things. The original recipe does not call for wine. And the original used a green jalapeno. I used a red pepper for a pop of color and because it tends to be a sweeter pepper (green is usually a little bitter). And I added the wine because....duh!

Comments

abigail louise said…
looks delicious! and love MA! you are darling.
Erin said…
I love your recipe suggestions, just made this. Yum.

Popular Posts