Keeping my Pinterest - Recipe Notes

Just catching up on some more Pinterest recipes. I've noticed that, for the most part, the recipes are on other people's blogs (and will always give props) but also many of these recipes are a touch on the "too simple" side. Not to say you can't have a good, simple recipe but there are missing pieces - season, taste, and stop and think about how the size of something cut up is going to feel in your mouth.

So recently I did make a few things, mostly with success. Here are my notes.

The first: Oven Toasted Ravioli

The hubs and I love fried ravioli and thought this might be a good way to make them! Super easy and so worth the try.

Here is the recipe.

The verdict? I think if I make them again I will be sure to salt and pepper the ravioli before the dipping process (and season the egg/milk combo - salt and pepper and maybe some tabasco - believe it or not this works and it won't taste like tabasco). I might broil them a little bit to crisp them up. Otherwise - next time I'm frying them! :) Still, in a pinch not a bad treat.

Second: Baked Oatmeal Casserole

The verdict: This was pretty darned good - and again, with a little extra it will be perfect. I think I'd only add some maple syrup (the real kind, no Mrs. Butterworths!) This one is versatile. I made it with blackberries, blueberries and bananas. No nuts. I will try it this fall with cinnamon and apples (and maybe some raisins - I wrote that just to gross my sister out. She despises raisins.). The rule of thumb with this is think about what you like in your oatmeal and go for it.

Third: "Chick fil A Nuggets"

The verdict: Definitely a make againer....though it did not taste like Chick fil A, they were really good. And could be the perfect base for General Gau's chicken. Hanging on to this one. The secret ingredient is powdered sugar!

*Note - definitely invest in a candy/meat thermometer for this sort of thing. I have several of the standard meat thermometers (the ones that look like pens with a dial on top) but this one (second from bottom) is crucial for oil, candy and the like. It reads higher temps and alerts you when your desired temp is reached. This one is a Pamered Chef version but Polder makes one you can get in your local kitchen store. Worth it and not terribly expensive.

Comments

Popular Posts