Top Ten! ~My Top Ten Cookbooks~


Ok. I promised and here it is. My list of my "top ten" cookbooks. Not necessarily in any particular order. But I do have a current "Number 1" so I'll leave that to last. :)

10. The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
Why: I love this big binder cookbook because it's my "Betty Crocker" and my "Joy of Cooking" in one (I have a copy of Joy, but not Betty). It's my go-to for most basic recipes. America's Test Kitchen (of Cook's Illustrated fame) tests every, single, recipe. Almost ad nauseum. But it makes for a very trustworthy resource.
Highlights: French Toast, Roast Chicken and Banana Bread (would you ever think to put yogurt in your banana bread? You might want to consider it!)

9. The Scandinavian Cookbook (Culinary Arts Institute)
Why: First and foremost because it was my grandmother's. Because it was made in 1956. Because the three "Homemaker Consultants" names are Aase Sunde (from Norway), Britta Soderback (Sweden) and Signe Madsen (Denmark). Because the recipes are old but tried and true and genuine.

Highlights: So I don't use the Swedish Meatball recipe from this book because I have both grandmother's versions (tho one would call hers "Norvegian Meatballs") but there is one worth checking in here. For me, it's the desserts section - specifically the cookies and pastries section. Fattigmands and Krumkaker (both Norwegian) and Pepparkakar (Swedish) and Spritsar (just plain Scandinavian) all take me back to my childhood Christmas celebrations with the family.

8. The America's Test Kitchen Best Make Ahead Cookbook
Why: Who doesn't love to prep things the night before? And who hasn't tried to bring a prepared dish to a holiday meal only to have it get soggy or not "sit" well? This cookbook is wonderful! As noted before - America's Test Kitchen tests their recipes!! I've referred to this book for several pot luck meals.

Highlights: Make Ahead Scalloped Potatoes. Hands down, the best I've ever eaten. They are a hit wherever I bring them and a tradition at Thanksgiving (and have been requested at Easter.) And make ahead Cheese and Prosciutto Manicotti (OMG)

7. Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert Book
Why: I decided many years ago that I needed to learn how to make ice cream. So I bought a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and this cookbook. For such a small, inexpensive investment I can now make amazing ice cream. This book gives great backbone to creativity with several choices for base cream and ratios for fruit to sugar and other guidelines so that you can create your own.

Highlights: Strawberry Ice Cream (best I've ever had), Blueberry Ice Cream and my all-time favorite: Coffee Oreo.

6. Molto Italiano, by Mario Batali
Why: Not sure I need to explain this one. Mario is the real deal. And both my husband and I adore Italian food. This book was a Christmas gift from my husband (I get a quality cookbook every year!) and so far is the favorite.

Hightlights: Pretty much everything but Polpettone di Tachino (Turkey meatballs) are to die for! I plan to make his cannoli recipe soon.

5. Slow Cooker Revolution (America's Test Kitchen)
Why: Because FINALLY there is a slow cooker cookbook that results in flavorful meals, not just a mushy stew. Not saying that there have never been good recipes until this book BUT...this book is LOADED with them! And with a little prep you can get amazing results. Word to the wise - browning your meat before slow cooking adds a ton of flavor! And of course - this is America's Test Kitchen and they've tested and applied some new techniques (using the microwave during prep, for example)

Highlights: Loaded Baked Potato Soup and Sweet and Spicy Shredded Pork (for tacos with a pineapple salsa - oh yes.)

4. A Look Through Time - EHS cookbook
Why: There are few words that can describe my deep connection to the little town of Enterprise, Alabama. It was where our first home was, where Chris learned how to fly helicopters, and where we met some of the most incredible people on this earth. I had the distinct pleasure of working in the finest store in town - Pure Imagination (a Kitchen Store and More). It was a perfect fit for someone who loves to cook. It was there that I made some friendships that will last longer than a lifetime and I got to meet just about everyone in town. This cookbook was a fundraiser for their new high school, which was completed in 2010 and which had to be built because in 2007 an E-4 tornado destroyed their original high school (8 students and one elderly woman were tragically lost.) This is your classic fundraiser or church cookbook and I have to say - if you want some true blue, southern recipes, this is the book for you! The funds from this book went to help complete the cafeteria (and I'm sure they could still use the money!) Contact Pure Imagination in Enterprise, AL if you'd like a copy (for cost of book plus shipping you can have it by next week!)

Highlights: Oh you must make Pimiento Cheese! But for me, the best recipe is for the Asparagus Cream Soup (recipe contributed by my dear friend and amazing cook, Bruce Byrd)

3. Maine Course Cookbook - A Grand Culinary Adventure Through Mount Desert Island, Maine
Why: This is one of the first cookbooks I purchased while on vacation (it's kind of a tradition now). I was in Acadia with my sister and brother-in-law and picked this one up in a gift shop. It is a small cookbook that was created to help raise funds for Mount Desert Island's YMCA (whose roof collapsed in the winter of 1994). They are hard to come by but I believe you can buy them used on Amazon. In any case - the book is compiled of local restaurant recipe contributions. Some of those restaurants still exist. It has a section for each season and captures New England cooking for me.

Highlights: Hands down, the best recipe in the book is Pasta Galyn contributed from Galyn's Galley in Bar Harbor (now Galyn's Restaurant). Chicken, ham and mushrooms in an earthy herbs and cream sauce served atop pasta (spinach fettuccine or whatever your heart desires). Delicious and having just done a teeny bit of research - this dish is still served at the restaurant. A few other highlights: Whoopie Pie and Kookie Dreams (graham crackers, coconut, chocolate and butterscotch chips and sweetened condensed milk. Need I say more?

2. Rick Bayless' Mexican Kitchen
Why: Because every kitchen should have a Mexican cookbook written by an expert. Now I know, Rick Bayless is not Mexican (I don't think he is anyway...) and if I had a Mexican grandmother I'd probably have no need for his book but like Mario Batali, he is the real deal. I haven't made much from this little number that I picked up in a used bookstore in Lexington, MA, but what I have made was amazing.

Highlights: Broiled Chipotle Chicken. Oh yes.

1. Tupelo Honey Cafe
Why: This one is my current number 1 pick right now. My "go to." I'm sure it will be replaced soon...maybe by something new and maybe something that's already on the shelf. I love it because I bought it in one of our favorite places here in the south: Asheville. It also has all of my qualifications for a good cookbook: great recipes, beautiful photos (my rule is every recipe should have a photo. This doesn't have one for each recipe but it's close enough) and local flavor.  If you're ever in Asheville, NC, be sure to eat here - I recommend brunch (they typically have a long wait so call ahead). Their goat cheese grits are phenomenal.

Highlights: My personal fave: Banana Pudding. Second is definitely the Tupelo Honey Hot Wings. Both are featured in this blog entry.

So that's it. If I was forced to keep only 10 books these are what I would choose. And I'd be soooo sad that I'd have to give up my other books! How about you? Do you have a "go to" cookbook? One you couldn't live without?

Comments

Popular Posts